#24 Meghan Dowell
Are you in a media bubble?
I knew I wanted to have Meghan Dowell on the show when I met her. We talked about how our access to media and reading changes who we think we are. I was hooked. We talk about everything from print media to bookless libraries to the #syllabus movement that expands study to social media. If you're ready to get your mind blown by all the possibilities for reading out there, you'll be pumped this week.
As someone who could stay in school forever and be perfectly happy, I was more than delighted to learn about how universities collect books and how they address the unique needs we have for learning today. If you are into Google and a good old fashioned book, you'll be pumped. Get ready to take your reading to the next level.
Show notes for episode 24 with Meghan Dowell:
- The ability to find books and how libraries are organized (1:45)
- The difference between public and academic libraries (2:30)
- Collecting for academic libraries and the Hashtag Syllabus movement (3:00) Mentioned: Hashtag syllabus movement, Atlantic article, #Lemonadesyllabus ebook, Beyonce's Lemonade
- DIYing a degree and making the ivory tower more available (7:15)
- Librarians on Jeopardy? (8:45) Mentioned: Jeopardy practice tests
- The path to being an academic librarian (10:00)
- The romantic notion of the library vs. tech evolution (14:00)
- Evolution of the library catalogue and collecting electronically (15:15)
- Collecting books with space limitations and print vs. digital (16:45)
- Libraries without books (17:30)
- Device debates (18:30)
- Book hoarders anonymous (19:30)
- The impact of algorithms and information access on personal image (20:30) Mentioned: Libtech conference, Safiya Noble
- How our search choices put us in Filter Bubbles (23:00) Mentioned: Ted Talk by Eli Pariser
- The existential crisis around being an informed reader with all that content (28:30) Mentioned: The Week, NextDraft, Call Your Girlfriend podcast, Drudge Report
- Picking books as a librarian aware of all those books (30:30) Mentioned: Librarians on tumblr (#tumblrians), Women's Review of Books, NPR Books
- Finding books we wouldn't have found otherwise (32:30) Mentioned: LitHub's Book Marks, Powell's, The Strand
- What Megan is reading now (35:40) Mentioned: The Marriage Plot, A Lover's Discourse, A Survival Guide to the Misinformation Age, Damned Lies, and Statistics
- The blue book librarian joke (37:15)
- How many books are Americans actually reading annually? (38:45)
- On finishing books and letting them go (40:00)
- On spoilers and knowing the endings (41:30) Mentioned: Mad Men
- Pairing books with drinks (44:20) Mentioned: Book and drink pairings: Caroline's selection is a Sidecar and Flappers; Meghan's is bourbon, rocks, and Factotum by Bukowski. Share yours in the comments below!
Sponsored by Muse Monthly